1) Many will come in the name of Christ and deceive many (Matt.24,5; Mark 13,6; Luke 21,8)
2) There will be wars and rumours of wars between nations and kingdoms (Matt.24, 6-7; Mark 13,7-8; Luke,21,9-10).
3) The first sorrows will be in the form of calamities: ‘famines, pestilences and earthquakes in divers places’, fearful sights and great signs from heaven (Matt.24,7-8; Mark, 13,8; Luke 21,11).
4) Orthodox Christians will be delivered up, killed and hated by all nations (Matt. 24,9; Mark 13, 9-11; Luke 21,12-15).
5) Everywhere men will hate and betray each other (Matt.24,10; Mark 13,12-13; Luke 21,16-17).
6) Many false prophets will appear and deceive many (Matt.24,11).
7) On account of abundant iniquity (evil deeds and unrepented sin), the love of many will grow cold. Only those who endure to the end will be saved (Matt.24,12-13; Mark 13,13; Luke 21,19).
8) The Gospel will be preached throughout the world ‘for a witness unto all nations’ (Matt.24,14; Mark 13,10).
9) After this Jews will become Orthodox Christians (Romans 11,25-28).
10) Preparations will be made for the coming of Antichrist, called the son of perdition and the beast. Preceded by false prophets and false signs and wonders, Antichrist will be a master of illusion, of ‘shock and awe’, taking away people’s freedom, but making them think that they have been freed. He will persecute the true servants of Christ with rage and fury. The Temple in Jerusalem will be rebuilt for him to be enthroned there in the place of Christ – hence his name ‘Antichrist’, he who comes in the place of Christ (Matt, 24,15-24; Mark 13,14-22; 2 Thess.3-11; 1 John 2,18; Rev.13,1-8).
11) Signs will appear in the heavens, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from heaven, the sea and the waves will roar and the powers of heaven will be shaken (Matt.24,29; Mark,13,24-25; Luke 21,25-26).
12) The sign of the Son of man (the Cross) will appear in the heavens and then will take place the Second Coming of Christ with power and great glory. Angels will be sent and shall gather the elect together ‘from the four winds’ (Matt.24,30-31; Mark 13,26-27, Luke 21,27).
As we look at the above, we may be tempted to think that the first half of these signs, the first six, have already come to pass. Concerning the first sign, over the centuries many have indeed come, saying that they are Christ and they have deceived many. As regards the second sign, the twentieth century especially but also already the beginning of the twenty-first century, have been marked by ‘wars and rumours of wars’. The third sign, ‘natural’ (i.e. unnnatural) disasters, has been taking place, as ‘famines, pestilences and earthquakes’ are occurring all over the world. Fourthly, Orthodox Christians have everywhere been ‘delivered up, killed and hated’. The fifth sign has also appeared, for the modern world seems to be full of ‘hatred and betrayal’. Sixth, false prophets already abound and ‘deceive many’.
However, there are those who would go beyond this interpretation. They would say that we are now already three-quarters of the way to the end, with the revelation of the three next signs. For them, the seventh sign, iniquity, now abounds and the love of many is indeed growing cold. And the eighth sign too is now under way, for the Gospel is being preached throughout the world as, with the freeing of Russia and global population movements, Orthodox Christianity is now spreading throughout the world. A time is coming when there will be no man who has not heard of the Orthodox Church. As regards the ninth point, the fact is also that many Jews, in Russia at least, have in recent years been baptised into the Orthodox Church.
If this is the case, then we are now awaiting the preparation of the tenth sign. What can we say of this, the final preparation for the coming of Antichrist?
“Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” The answer that Paul and Silas gave him is exactly how anyone gets saved in this age of grace thru faith that we live in.
“We are standing on the threshold of the crisis of the ages. In quick succession the judgments of God will follow one another – fire, and flood and earthquake, with war and bloodshed”. (E.G.White, Last Day Events) This quote was made in 1914, and just look at what is happening in our world now! We are certainly in the end times! It is our prayer that you will seek the truth and make every effort to follow in the footsteps of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. GET READY! He is coming soon!