Storing medical supplies, especially antiseptic is a must when planning for an emergency event where hospitals and other types of medical care will be difficult to access. This year we have all seen how difficult if not impossible is to get access to certain medication or medical care in times of crisis. Also, we all know that accidents happen, but when they get infected then they become life-threatening.
Those that are preparing for short term and long term disasters more than likely have begun stocking up on certain supplies, such as bleach, water, and baking soda mainly due to their versatility. But did you know that when these three items are combined together, they create a powerful antiseptic that can save a life? This antiseptic, otherwise known as Dakin’s Solution (diluted sodium hydrochloride solution 0.5%) can be used to kill most bacterias and viruses.
This antiseptic was first discovered during World War I, when doctors on the battlefield were trying to find ways to kill germs and prevent bacterial related infections, such as gangrene and putrefaction from setting in. Doctors found that when they used Dakin’s solution before and after surgical procedures and for wound irrigation, the patient’s condition improved. It was most beneficial after the wound had been adequately cleaned and foreign material and dead tissue had been removed.
According to WebMD, “Dakin’s solution is used to prevent and treat skin and tissue infections that could result from cuts, scrapes, and pressure sores. It is also used before and after surgery to prevent surgical wound infections.
Dakin’s solution is a type of hypochlorite solution. It is made from bleach that has been diluted and treated to decrease irritation. Chlorine, the active ingredient in Dakin’s solution, is a strong antiseptic that kills most forms of bacteria and viruses.
Pour, apply or spray onto the injured area. When used on wounds, Dakin’s solution can be poured onto the affected area as an irrigation or cleanser. It is also used to wet certain types of wound dressings (e.g., wet to moist dressing). Follow your doctor’s instructions exactly.
The body’s own wound-healing tissues and fluids can decrease the antibacterial effect of Dakin’s solution. Therefore, this solution is often used only once daily for minor wounds and twice daily for heavily draining or contaminated wounds. Use this product as directed by your doctor.
Protect the surrounding healthy skin with a moisture barrier ointment (e.g., petroleum jelly) or skin sealant as needed to prevent irritation.”
Uses For Dakin’s Solution
- Minor scrapes
- Skin and tissue infections
- Can be used before and after surgical procedures to prevent infection
- Can be used as a mouthwash (should not be swallowed)
- Used as a wound irrigator solution to clean wounds
- Can be applied as a wet-to-moist dressing for wounds
- Sodium hypochlorite solution at 5.25% (Bleach-unscented)
- Baking soda
- Clean tap water
- Clean pan with lid
- Sterile measuring cups and spoons
- Sterile jar with a sterile lid
- Label for the jar to label antiseptic, date, time and discard date
To Make Solution:
1. Wash your hands well with soap and water.
2. Measure out 32 ounces (4 cups) of clean water. Pour into a clean pan and allow water to boil for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
3. Using a sterile measuring spoon, add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to the water.
4. Measure the bleach according to the strength that is desired:
– For full strength – add 3 oz. bleach or 95 ml.
– For 1/2 strength – add 3 tbs. + 1/2 tsp. or 48 ml.
– For 1/4 strength – add 1 tbs. +2 tsp. or 24 ml.
– For 1/8 strength – add 2 1/2 tsp. or 12-14 ml.
5. Place the solution in a jar and close it tightly with a sterile lid. Cover the closed jar with tin foil to protect it from sunlight.
6. Throw away any unused portion of the antiseptic within 48 hours of use. This solution can be made up to a month prior to using and stored away.
Also, I highly recommend this book to everyone. 300 pages, color, paperback. The Lost Book of Remedies is helping Americans achieve medical self-sufficiency even in the darkest times using the time-tested methods of our grandparents without spending lots of money on toxic drugs and without side effects.